The internet is a tricky place to debate. Too often good arguments can turn bad by insulting people who have different opinions than yours.
Otego is, as the sign entering the village used to say, “A Friendly Place.” Let’s keep it that way. Personal invective will not be tolerated on this site, unless it’s aimed at someone who’s:
1. maliciously set anything into motion that would directly negatively effect you in particular
2. directly and intentionally disrespected you
3. shown egregious, undeniable stupidity
4. intentionally hurt an innocent person or animal
5. a corporation. Corporations are not people, although there are laws that say they are. (Believe it or not, that is true! – what a world!)
6. A public or government figure. “Brittany has an idiotic video out…” or “Geithner must have been on drugs to give a speech like that…” are well within the limits. But they don’t get to Otego much, so that may be moot.
I don’t mean any of these things lightly. If we were talking about, say, Kark Rove, Huey Long, Kenneth Lay or Lynndie England – go ahead, sling all the insults you like , just keep it PG, and no slander or libel.
Seriously, words like “stupid”, “idiotic”, etc, are reserved strictly for people who have been malicious, not for people you disagree with, or you feel have insulted you by having different opinions, or have even called your actions into question.
All of our actions can be called into question – but it must be out of logic, not out of outrage.
Please keep in mind that leaving a comment is not any guarantee that someone will address whatever you write about.
Guest articles are welcome, as long as they are your own writing. Send me an e-mail (click the “contact” link above) and query me before you submit it, ok?
Arguments for or against either side of the gas leasing issue are welcom.